Application FAQ - Certificate Courses
Can I apply for 2021 intake now?

Application for admission in September 2021 (FOR YEAR 2 ONLY) will remain open until 12:00 noon, June 30, 2021 (Hong Kong Time).

*Late applications for Year 2 will also be accepted for consideration. Please send your inquiry to Ms. Amy Ho at

Where can I obtain an application form?

Application Forms can be downloaded from the website

What documents should I submit to support my application?

The completed form should be returned to the Office in person or by mail together with

1) the original certified true copy of your HKID card/passport;

2) the original certified true copy of the academic transcripts and examination results*; (*if you aged below 25, an officially certified copy of the document is required;

3) the proof of payment of the application fee HK$300. 

Are photocopies of certificates and transcripts acceptable to the University?

The University will ONLY ACCEPT originals or copies of the documents that have been duly declared as true copies before a notary public.

Can I apply for admission as a visiting student?

An applicant who does not satisfy the University entrance requirements may be admitted as a Visiting Student. Visiting Student is not eligible for the award of the Certificate. Fees are the same as those for the regular students.


How much is the tuition fee?

HK$29,400 for each Term.

How do I respond to an offer of admission?

Congratulations on receiving an offer of admissions to HKU!

Follow the instructions on your offer to pay the first installment of the composition fee and remember to save the receipt of payment.

I am a non-local applicant. Can I apply for a student accommodation?

Admission to the University does not provide any guarantee of finding accommodation which remains the responsibility of each student. Information and advice of off-campus accommodation are available at .

How should I apply for a student visa?

In general, unless a person has the right of abode or right to land in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), he/she requires a visa/entry permit to study in the HKSAR. Applications should be submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration Department via the Chinese Embassy in your country of residence.

Application form can be downloaded from :

Please note that at least 2 months should be allowed for visa processing. It is the responsibility of individual applicants to make appropriate visa arrangements before they come to Hong Kong. For further details on visa application matters, please visit the website of the Hong Kong Immigration Department at : or the Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AALS) of the University of Hong Kong at

Whom should I nominate as a visa sponsor?

The Hong Kong Immigration requires a visa applicant to submit an application for nominating a local sponsor for sponsoring entry for study in Hong Kong. Students coming to HKU should nominate the Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AALS) as your visa sponsor by completing and returning to AALS an application form for visa sponsorship with all the required documents and payment. Please visit for details.

Am I allowed to work in HK with a student visa?

According to the HKSAR Immigration Ordinance, a student visa holder is not allowed to take up any employment, whether paid or unpaid, in Hong Kong.

Will Hong Kong Immigration Department approve my application?

All applications are processed and determined by the Immigration Department. Approval of applications is entirely discretionary and is subject to changes in government policies. For queries on unsuccessful application, please contact the HK Immigration Department.